Selamat datang! Welcome!
The Regional Universities Indonesian Language Initiative (RUILI) invites you to enrol in an intensive Indonesian In-country Language and Cultural Program that gives you high quality classroom learning with native speaker instructors, cultural immersion, and daily interaction with local people.
The in-country programs are managed by the members of RUILI: Charles Darwin University (CDU), University of New England (UNE), University of the Sunshine Coast (USC), and the University of Tasmania (UTAS), with local Indonesian partners the Mataram Lingua Franca Institute (MLFI) in Mataram, Lombok, and Nusa Cendana University (UNDANA) in Kupang, West Timor.
The programs offer several levels of language study, from total beginners to advanced. You will experience living in the community while studying, which will enrich your understanding of the Indonesian language and way of life. The programs integrate rigorous coursework with interesting cultural activities and excursions, and are taught by supportive local university teachers.
All queries should be first directed to your lecturer or relevant officer at your home university.
2019 Lombok program
Our intensive Indonesian In-country Language and Cultural Program is going ahead in 2019 at the Mataram Lingua Franca Institute (MLFI).
Term 1: Thursday 3 January – Wednesday 23 January 2019.
Term 2: Monday 28 January – Friday 15 February 2019.
Registrations close: 31st October 2018
The safety and security of our participating students and staff is of paramount importance. In this regard, in consultation with MLFI, International SOS and other stakeholders including the University of New England Legal Office, University of New England Travel and University of New England Insurance, we have undertaken an in-depth risk assessment of the situation in Lombok and the viability of our program for 2019, following the earthquakes that took place in Northern Lombok in August 2018. In consideration of the current Level 2 DFAT travel advice for Lombok, and the addition of specific safety measures, approval has been obtained to run the prgoram. This approval is conditional on the following:
- Each student is to sign a risk management statement containing all the necessary precautions for their safety and security and insurance coverage.
- To ensure university insurance coverage applies at all stages of travel, students are asked to travel to Lombok via Singapore, Jakarta, or routes other than Bali. University insurance may not provide coverage for disruption to travel caused by the volcanic activities of Mt Agung.
- For added safety, students will need to stay in accommodation recommended by RUILI close to the MLFI campus. The list of hotels can be found here.
- Students will be restricted from undertaking travel to areas allocated a travel advice level higher than Level 2, as listed on the DFAT Smartraveller website.
- Please provide your contact details and address in Mataram to MLFI, and remain contactable for the duration of the program. Please advise your dedicated MLFI program director of any travel plans beyond Mataram.
- Students, RUILI consortium members, and MLFI will adhere to comprehensive Risk Management and Emergency procedures to ensure welfare and minimise risk and harm
Students who fail to observe the advice in points 2-4 above do so at their own risk, and may result in the loss of insurance coverage.
Mataram Lingua Franca Institute has provided a safety report on their building from the Indonesian regional government, deeming it structurally safe following the August 2018 earthquakes that affected Northern Lombok (Mataram is located south and was not significantly affected). You can view them here:
Safety Assessment Report (in Indonesian)